We are looking for an outstanding Head of Year to join our team at GEMS Cambridge International Private School Sharjah from September 2021.
The post holder will lead, manage, and be accountable for tracking progress, considering curriculum planning, supporting the Behaviour for Learning Policy and speaking with parents to promote the fulfilment of the school’s vision.
As a Middle Leader and a member of the Middle Leadership Team, the post holder will be expected:
- To articulate a vision for their year group in the context of the school’s ethos and vision
- To lead, manage, co-ordinate, maintain, develop, monitor and evaluate the progress made for children within their year groups
- To make a full contribution to the processes of planning, resource management, policy development and implementation across the school through the effective leadership and management of your specific year group
- To make a full contribution to ensuring high expectations and standards in all aspects of school
- To work flexibly in supporting the day-to-day organisation and management of the school
- To be accountable to the Heads of Key Stage and ultimately the Principal/CEO
- To contribute to the school’s Performance Development Programme where appropriate
Much of the work of the Head of Year is involved with the tracking of progress and considering the needs of students to ensure that they progress in line with baseline expectations. Such provision needs to be planned for and evaluated. The Head of Year should, therefore, assume strategic responsibility for the quality, coherence; continuity and relevance of the Assessment for Learning, which is taking place in classrooms, as well as the use of baseline data to inform teaching within the context of whole school provision and ensure:
- Effective liaison with Class and Form Tutors regarding the use of baseline data to inform teaching
- In liaison with Heads of Subject Areas a commitment to consistency and opportunities for innovation within the curriculum and an overarching monitoring role to ensure schemes of work appropriate
- Effective contribution to the development and implementation of Personal Learning Plans for underachieving students, in association with the Inclusion Team and Student Welfare Team where appropriate
- Contribution to the development of policies and systems which reflect the school’s commitment to high standards
- responsibility for appropriate, assessment, recording and reporting procedures for classroom activities in line with whole school policy in liaison with the Head of School
- That students are placed in appropriate class/tutor groups in line with school policy and procedures and be involved, where appropriate, in discussions regarding the placement of students in subject groups in liaison with the Head of Student Welfare
- That arrangements are made for the setting of work in the Year group when teachers are absent
- Ensuring the consistency of Home Learning throughout the Year group is applied
- Contribution to published materials
- The maintenance of accurate records of decisions, meetings, interviews and correspondence
- Awareness of the dimensions of the wider curriculum and the opportunities for developing students in external and in school activities
All positions attract an excellent remuneration package including:
Competitive tax-free salary, individual fully furnished accommodation, free schooling, private medical insurance, annual airfares to country of residence and end of Service Gratuity.
GEMS Teachers also have free access to our loyalty app GEMS rewards www.gemsrewards.com which provides significant savings on day-to-day life in the UAE. We offer thousands of discounts and 2 for 1 offers on everything from flights, hotels, restaurants and retail outlets, making your salary go further and enhancing the opportunity to save whilst working overseas.